Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer Is Here!

Sorry for no update lately, but summer is here and there's been lots going on. I put my garden in a month ago and despite a freak hailstorm, most of my garden has survived. Unfortunately, I'm losing the battle with the kudzu bugs to save my beans and basil and battling my dog to stay out of my herb garden.

Penny size hail collects in the street
Even though my garden is all planted I still manage to come home every week with some new plant that I wind up putting into an orange 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Classy, I know. So far I've planted:
  • 2 types of peas
  • Green and yellow bush beans, green pole beens
  • 2 types of carrots
  • Garlic and shallots (planted in winter, will harvest soon)
  • Spinach
  • 8 tomato plants (Roma, Goliath and an heirloom)
  • Basil, parlsey, cilantro, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
  • Assorted colors of Bell peppers
  • Peppermint and lemon balm
To help keep my water bill from going through the roof, I added a water barrel to the front of the house and am working on adding one to the back. I've found its easier to dunk a couple watering cans rather than drag the hose out. 


Basil plant: round two. Growing indoors.
Most of time has been spent outside, but otherwise I've been homebrewing, and making the usual stir fry, burritos, granola and dried tea. I even made a funky version of my tuscan vegetable soup by adding cabbage and purple sticky rice. The rice turned everything an intense purple color! Not what I was going for but tasted alright. We froze some fresh local strawberries last week and our CSA program starts soon. We'll have lots of fun food adventures here soon. 

I'm hunting recipes for tomato sauce, salsa, and pesto if anybody has one they'd like to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...