Friday, April 27, 2012

Cornmeal and Kale Spoon Bread

I enjoy kale about as much as a mouthful of chicken wire. So you can imagine my enthusiasm when I found about a pound of it in our CSA this week. But that's part of this deal, eating with the seasons, eating even those things we're not excited about, and eating it all before it goes bad. So I had my work cut out.


On the Epicurious iPhone app, you can enter multiple ingredients to sort recipes. Cornmeal and Kale Spoon Bread sounded like it might be alright and used a bunch of our items. The reviews said it was nothing special. Long story short, it was a lot of work, but turned out REALLY good. I'd totally make it again. And you know, I really haven't given kale a fair shot. I put it in soup once and didn't trim the tough stems off, yuck. My bad.


Since strawberries are everywhere, we've also been enjoying strawberry shortcake. I just slice the fresh strawberries thin, sprinkle with sugar and mix.


Let them sit out about 30 minutes so the sugar can draw out all that great flavor and juice. Then serve with a slice of shortcake (or angel food cake) and a little whip cream. Eating with the seasons is pretty awesome.


2 comments:

  1. If you still have a lot of kale freeze some and add it to your smoothies, you wont realize its in their and it adds great nutrients! If my kids will drink it in smoothies so can you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess, thanks for the idea! We used all our kale, but I'm sure there's more in our future!

      Delete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...