Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Granola

Because I'm not a morning person, breakfast has always gotten short-changed for me. But not anymore. I've gotten a good routine of going to the store Sunday and buying fresh fruit for the whole week. I keep it at my desk at work or bring it with me in the morning. And I drink black coffee.

The breakfast routine
But the best part of my breakfast is homemade granola. Last year I found this recipe, maybe from Rachel Ray, but now I'm not sure. You won't be disappointed.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup dark (or amber) agave nectar
any dried fruit you like


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, toss together the oats, almonds, wheat germ and cardamom. Pour in the agave and mix well (add extra agave if necessary). Transfer the mixture to the sheet pan and bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan.


The result is a giant granola bar. I let it cool and break it into huge chunks. I've made this probably 10 or 15 times with all different combinations of dried fruit (strawberries, cranberries, bananas, apricots). The agave nectar has a maple syrup'ish taste and is better for you as it has a low glycemic index. And I like to chop whole unsalted organic almonds from at Swamp Rabbit Cafe ($5.99/lb).


Homemade granola and fresh fruit is a tasty way to get a big serving of whole grains and fruit to start your day. There are huge health benefits to oats, wheat germ, almonds, and cinnamon. And by planning ahead by doing the prep on Sunday, I have no prep during the week. Making your own granola isn't cheap. Agave nectar is a little pricey (I hear you can find it discounted at TJ Maxx) and almonds and wheat germ aren't cheap. But the result is so worth it, there's no way I'd rather start my day.

1 comment:

  1. For a second I thought Tiff was writing this, and I thought, there is NO WAY she's started drinking her coffee black. She likes it with extra sugar syrup. Anyway, your granola is mondo delicious.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...