Saturday, May 12, 2012

Miso Soup

In our CSA we've been getting a regular supply of green onions. So with our efforts to not waste everything we've had to get creative. We were out eating sushi a few weeks ago and had miso soup with green onions in it. Which got me thinking about making it at home.


I visited the asian market and bought miso (soy paste). Miso is fermented soy beans. Its been eaten for centuries across Japan and China and has great health benefits.


I also bought some wakame, a dried seaweed. The tiny pellets turn into 1" sheets of seaweed in the hot water. Wakame is super good for you.


Chop one green onion and cut up a little tofu.


For one serving, I boil 3 cups of water with a couple heaping teaspoons of miso paste. But easy on the paste, it's high in sodium. Add a tablespoon of wakame, simmer a couple more minutes and pour into the bowl with green onion and tofu. For a more filling meal, I put 1/2 cup of rice in the cooker and eat it on the side. 

The container of miso will go a long way, as will the wakame. And they both keep a long time. Total cost for a bowl of miso soup is about fifty cents. I'll keep these on hand for when I need a good quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...